pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

'New' saddles

I bought both of the saddles for $11.50 on ebay (although I had to drive out 30 minutes to pick them up). They obviously don't have the prestige or the quality of a Turbo or Rolls, but I think it was a pretty good buy for the price. (Although, I had come across a Turbo Triathlon saddle in the past, but I didn't like it very much and ended up selling it.)

I've read some good things about the Avocet Touring saddles online. I think I read somewhere that some were made in the U.S., but this one was made in Italy. They are supposed to have three levels, I, II, and III, in increasing quality. I am guessing this one is the (same as) Touring I, since it's got vinyl cover with a decent amount of foam padding. The II and III are supposed to have leather covers and less padding. 
It looks to be in good condition overall, although there are a few cosmetic blemishes. In the first picture, the little "bump" below the A in Avocet is caused by the long clamp bolt pushing against the plastic. (It's the old style seatpost clamp). I'm not sure if it can be fixed, but hopefully it won't cause any problems in the future. I am thinking of putting this one on my Schwinn Cimarron if I ever get to putting it back together.

Avocet Touring - Side View

Avocet Touring - Rear View

Avocet Touring - Front View


The seller said this Mundialita came off his Miele. I'm not sure if there are ways to tell the different qualities of Mundialita saddles, or if there were any difference in qualities in their saddles. There isn't too much information on these saddles online, but they seem like they were on upper entry level bikes or maybe some mid level  bikes. I thought they would look better on my Peugeot PH 501 than the WTB Speed V that's on it right now. 
The 1985 Peugeot catalog says the stock saddle is "Mondialita," and I couldn't figure out whether that was a typo or a different maker. (The 1986 catalog spells it Mondialita also). The saddle that came with the bike when I got it unfortunately had no markings other than that it was made in Italy. Hopefully that wasn't a Mundialita because it didn't fit me so well and I had to toss it. If it was, I hope this one has a more fitting shape.
It looks to be in great shape with minimal padding in the middle of the saddle. The back and the nose seem to have almost none. A bit heavy compared to the present day saddles, but I won't care as long as it's comfortable. I am a little worried about the cover material since I read one person complaining that it made him sweat.

Mundialita - Side View

Mudialita - Rear View

Mudialita - Top View

No comments:

Post a Comment