pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

A long due update

Since my last post, I have moved to the Big Apple, and have been busy adjusting to my new life in. But now that I have some free time before the year is over, I have decided to get back to updating this blog.

Given the limited living space of my apartment, I am unfortunately not able to keep up with my hobby at the same scale as before. And I'm still a bit terrified of riding through the streets of New York -- it is not the relaxing rides that I'm used to taking back in California. But hopefully in the new year, I will try to venture out a bit more, and maybe even attempt that bicycle touring that I've always thought of doing.

For now, I will update on a couple of things from the last few months since the last post.

Back in October, I had the privilege to visit Sweden (and Eruope) for the first time (it was also the mating time for moose, but I didn't get to see it). I was in UmeƄ, which is the largest city in the Norrland, and also a huge university town. The scenery actually reminded me a lot of western Massachusetts in the fall (where I attended college). I'm sure many other places in Europe are similar, but this place was extremely bike-friendly. Everyone rode bicycles, and you could get pretty much anywhere on the bicycle on their extensive bike lanes.

I was able to borrow a bicycle that belonged to the father of a professor who was hosting me. It was a bit big for me, but I didn't have too much issue getting around on it. The bike was a Finnish brand called Flying Finn, with pretty low-end parts. I used it mostly to get myself to and from the university, but I did take it around for some sightseeing. Here are some of the pictures of the bicycle and the beautiful scenery there:

The bike was a tad too big



So many bikes!

I think the sculpture is supposed to be the northern lights




Umea town center

Along the Ume river






Boats on the Ume river

Ume river

Along the Ume river

Ume river


No comments:

Post a Comment