pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Small additions to the 1983 Univega Sportour

The Sportour has eyelets on its rear dropouts, but no rear rack bosses on its seatstays. Fortunately, I saved a rack from a 70's Centurion Super LeMans that clamps onto the brake bolt. The eyelets on the dropouts were unthreaded 5mm holes, so I tapped it to fit M6 x 1mm screws. I also had to enlarge the holes on the rack to fit a 6mm diameter bolt. Since I don't have any cutting oil, I used PB Blaster for the job, and it turned out alright. I also had to re-bend the mounting arm that goes on the brake bolt. It probably took me much longer than others to do these simple tasks, but I think everything turned out decent in the end.

I also added a Specialized bottle cage that I had lying around.

A few pictures:

1983 Univega Sportour - Drive-side with new rack (3/24/12)

Rear rack (3/24/12)

Rack mounted on the brake bolt (3/24/12)

Rack mounted on the brake bolt (3/24/12)

No comments:

Post a Comment