pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Intro/1985 Peugeot PH 501

I am starting this blog to keep track of my endeavors in collecting and riding bicycles. I started fiddling around with bicycles in October, 2009 when I bought a Schwinn Tourist on eBay (originally sold at Target). After about a year and two months of buying/selling many used bicycles, I have become enamored of vintage bicycles. My collection as of now consists of:
1. 1989 Panasonic Team Custom (acquired April, 2010)
2. 1985 Peugeot PH 501 (acquired July, 2010)
3. 1987 Schwinn Cimarron LE (acquired December, 2010)
They're nothing spectacular, but they suit my needs for commute/recreation/exercise.

Since my Panasonic and Schwinn are disassembled for repair/overhaul, I will begin with my 1985 Peugeot PH 501. It came without the wheelset as part of a "bulk lot" of bicycles from a police auction. Once the other bikes/parts from the lot were fixed up and sold, this bike cost almost nothing. (I have time to do this because I'm currently an unemployed recent college graduate). The wheelset is a garage sale find for $40. Other parts have also been upgraded during the past months, and I hope to change the saddle, bar tape, and brake hoods in the near future. Find current specs below the pictures:

1985 Peugeot PH 501 - Drive-side (1/8/11)

1985 Peugeot PH 501 - With a cool vintage shade (1/8/11)



SPECS:
Frame: Reynolds 501 main tubes, internally brazed (no info on the materials of the stays, but probably hi-ten steel)
Fork: Peugeot Carbolite 103, chromed
Size: 54cm
Color: Metallic Black
Crankset: Sugino DGS 42 x 52
Shifters: Simplex Retrofriction
Derailleurs: Huret Sachs Rival, front and rear
Pedals: unknown brand, Christophe toe clips, leather toe straps
Chain: original Sedisport, black
Hubs: Shimano RSX, 7 speed cassette 11-28T
Rims: Mavic CXP 10 (not definite because the previous owner peeled off the stickers)
Tires: Specialized
Headset: Peugeot (according to the catalog)
Handlebar: Kusuki WinPista
Stem: CTA, aero
Brakes: Campagnolo 2040 Record, NOT period correct
Brake levers: Campagnolo Super Record
Saddle: WTB Speed V
Seatpost: J.P. Routens, micro-adjust
Accessories: Planet Bike rear light; Schwinn Voyageur handlebar bag; Zefal handlebar mirror; Zefal frame pump (not pictured)

2 comments:

  1. I have a PH 501 just like yours. It needed a lot of TLC when I got it, mostly cleaning of oxidation. It came complete though and I think it's all original. However, some parts are different to the one's you got on it. It's a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been an overkill to put the Retrofriction shifters and the Campy Record brakes, but I had them lying around and they work great!
      Sadly, it's all disassembled right now because I was looking to replace the drivetrain a bit, but I still haven't got around to it.

      Delete